Yellow Book Continuing Professional Education
Please note: Information contained on this page is subject to change without notice. For complete and current information, refer to the U.S. Government Accountability Office website.
More information on Yellow Book requirements
Yellow Book CPE requirements:
as outlined by the Government Accountability Office
These requirements are effective June 30, 2005, as outlined in the GAO’s Guidance on GAGAS Requirements for Continuing Professional Education (PDF).
Auditors performing work under GAGAS should complete every two years:
- At least 80 hours of CPE that directly enhances the auditor’s professional proficiency to perform audits or attestation engagements, with a minimum of 20 hours in any one year of the two-year period.
- At least 24 of the 80 hours of CPE should be in subjects directly related to government auditing, the government environment, or the specific or unique environment in which the audited entity operates.
EXCEPTION: Auditors performing work under GAGAS who are only involved in performing fieldwork but are not involved in planning, directing, or reporting on the audit or attestation engagement, and who charge less than 20% of their time annually to GAGAS audits and attestation engagements, should complete every two years:
- At least 24 hours of CPE in subjects and topics directly related to government auditing, the government environment, or the specific or unique environment in which the audited entity operates, but are exempt from the remainder of the 80-hour CPE requirement.
Please note: Auditors must use professional judgment when determining and documenting if a seminar qualifies for Yellow Book in accordance with the Government Accountability Office, Government Auditing Standards, July 2007 Revision (PDF) and Guidance on GAGAS Requirements for Continuing Professional Education, GAO-05-058.
Can CPE taken on taxation subject matter be used to fulfill Yellow Book CPE requirements?
- Effective January 1, 2004, the GAO has deleted taxation from the list of subjects that always satisfy the 80-hours every two years requirement.
- Instruction in topics that may meet CPE requirements of licensing bodies or professional organizations no longer automatically satisfy the 80-hour CPE requirement. Any CPE for GAGAS must be in subjects that "directly enhance the auditor's professional proficiency to perform audits and/or attestation engagements."
- Most tax services are not related to the subject matter of audits performed under GAGAS and therefore do not qualify for satisfying GAGAS requirements. There are some exceptions if taxation relates to an objective of an audit conducted under GAGAS. You must clearly document the rationale for including such taxation training as part of your GAGAS CPE requirement.
Programs with Yellow Book Continuing Professional Education credits
View all CPE programs
Use the CPE Log to track all your CPE credits in one place. MNCPA courses are added automatically and you can also add non-MNCPA courses. This tool is available to MNCPA members only.
You can print an official transcript (certificate of attendance) for any MNCPA event you have attended. The Minnesota BOA accepts this transcript as valid proof of CPE.
Download session handout materials for conferences you have attended.