The Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants lists real questions clients have asked CPAs

No question is too outrageous this tax season

MINNEAPOLIS (March 4, 2019) — For many, taxes are a complicated and confusing matter. How do you plan ahead for filing season? What do you need to keep for records? What’s the difference between a deduction and a subtraction? How does the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act affect my return?
These questions and more can be answered with the help of a certified public accountant.

“We hear all sorts of questions — everything from ‘Why didn’t I get a tax refund?’ to ‘Can I deduct my daughter’s wedding?’” said Scott Kadrlik, CPA/PFS, director of taxation at Meuwissen, Flygare, Kadrlik & Associates, P.A. “Our job is to advise clients so they can plan for the tax season ahead, and file an accurate return both timely and securely.”

As we enter the heart of tax season, the Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants (MNCPA) provides the following list of real questions clients have asked MNCPA members. These will not only educate, but also show that there’s truly no such thing as a silly tax question.

“No question is too outrageous,” added Kadrlik. “We’ve heard them all.”

Do I really need to file?

It’s highly advisable to submit timely returns to avoid problems in the future. The IRS has specific guidelines about who must file a tax return. A common misunderstanding some people have is they don’t need to file a return when they reach a certain age. There is no such rule. Everyone needs to file if they meet the income filing requirements. Keep in mind you may even need someone else to file your final tax return after you pass away.

Is the new tax code so simple now that CPAs aren’t needed?

The new tax law removed some deductions, created new deductions and changed the format of the tax forms. For some individuals, the increased standard deduction for federal returns does make filing taxes simpler.

That being said, there are still thousands of pages of tax law. For those who have a complicated tax situation, such as small-business owners, retirees, executives and investors, a CPA is a great resource to interpret those laws and help take advantage of the tax benefits that are available.

I did volunteer work for a charitable organization. Can I deduct my time?

Bless you for committing your time to making the world a better place. You get a hearty pat on the back and a great feeling inside for donating your time.

Sadly, that is all that a CPA can provide you. Time spent doing volunteer work is not a valid deduction.

I took photos of my dogs for a calendar. Can I deduct the dogs on my return?

Generally no, but, interestingly enough, if you are selling the calendars, you may get some tax benefits from the maintenance of the dogs. That’s why it’s important to ask these types of questions to your CPA and determine what’s allowable in the eyes of the IRS.

But, generally speaking, “man's best friend” is not deductible.

How much can I deduct without any proof?

Documentation (or lack thereof) has become the easiest way for the IRS and state taxing authorities to disallow deductions. You need to have substantiating records to support the deductions if you’re going to claim them on your return.

Remember what your English teacher taught you in Beginning Composition: Who, what, when, why and where are all necessary to support a deduction. So, keep your receipts and log your expenses in a timely manner.

What are my chances of being audited?

It’s hard to say exactly what the odds are of being audited, but there are certain red flags that can trigger an audit. Failure to report income will easily generate a notice from the government.Large deductions and losses, as well as high income taxpayers are going to garner an extra look by the government, too.

Can a CPA fix what I’ve done wrong on my tax return?

If it’s found that you’ve filed incorrect returns, a CPA can work with you on your options. In most cases, it may be necessary to file an amended return.

Why do I owe taxes on gambling winnings?

Gambling winnings are technically income. You can offset your gambling winnings with gambling losses, but only to the extent of your winnings.

Can a CPA get my taxes done by April 15 if I drop everything off April 14?

The complexity of the new tax laws will increase the time it takes to complete 2018 tax returns. CPAs are geared up to meet this challenge but need your help. Send your records as soon as available to avoid the last-minute crunch. If you show up on April 14 with a shoebox of receipts, you’ll likely be greeted with a smile and an extension form.

Each situation is unique and depends on the facts and circumstances involved. Consult a CPA for information on what may be allowable for your specific situation.

Don’t have a CPA? Visit to search the MNCPA CPA Referral Service.

The Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants (MNCPA) serves the public interest by advancing the highest standards of ethics and practices within the CPA profession. The MNCPA delivers on that promise by offering extensive continuing professional education and resources; advocating for members and the public with regulatory agencies and boards; and mentoring and encouraging the CPAs and business leaders of tomorrow. Founded in 1904, the MNCPA has 8,500 members who work in public accounting, business and industry, government and education.


Media contacts

Carolyn LaViolette
Office: 952-885-5530 

Corey Butler
Office: 952-885-5533