Receiving up-close, real world insight into the CPA profession while learning business skills through mentorship, firm visits and more.
MNCPA Scholars participate in a year-long program promoting awareness of the CPA profession to minority groups.
Why become an MNCPA Scholar?
During this year-long mentor program, MNCPA Scholars have the unique opportunity to get a working glimpse into the CPA profession.
As a Scholar, you'll meet respected CPAs, have dinner with firm partners and even work alongside real CPAs. You will also attend skill-building events throughout the year with your mentor, learn about accounting and business careers and gain important tools for the future.
Successful MNCPA Scholars will receive FREE:
- CPA Mentor.
- Business clothing.
- Lunches and dinners.
- Skill development.
- Transportation to Minnesota firms and companies.
- Academic gift of $1,000.
- College/scholarship letter of recommendation.
MNCPA Scholars are high-potential, minority high school students with an interest in accounting and/or business. Since CPA firms and businesses are investing in each MNCPA Scholar, attendance and active participation is essential. All activities occurring during school hours will be approved by school officials and will be excused absences.
- Must be an under-represented U.S. racial/ethnic minority student.
- Must be enrolled in a Minnesota high school as a junior or senior for the 2022-23 school year.
- Must be a Minnesota resident.
- Must have demonstrated academic success (with a minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale).
- Must have an interest in accounting, finance, business or math.
Interested in becoming a Scholar?
The MNCPA is accepting applications for the 2022-23 school year. Download and complete the student application and questionnaire via the fillable PDF.
For the reference questionnaire, send the questionnaire to a teacher, guidance counselor, volunteer coordinator, etc. to be completed and returned to the MNCPA.
Please send completed application packets by email to Amy Johnston at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to the attention of Amy Johnston at the Minnesota Society of CPAs, 1650 W. 82nd St., Suite 600, Bloomington, MN 55431.
Have questions about the MNCPA Scholars Program or about the application process? Contact Amy Johnston at 952-885-5534 or email@example.com.
- Applicant must complete the official 2022-23 MNCPA Scholars Application. The student questionnaire and a recent academic transcript must be submitted with this application or it will not be accepted. Please thoroughly fill out the student questionnaire and application, including information about activities, community involvement and work experience.
- Applicant will also submit one reference questionnaire to be completed by a teacher, guidance counselor, supervisor, volunteer coordinator, etc.
- Applications must be received by June 15, 2022.
- All information submitted becomes property of the Minnesota Society of CPAs and will not be returned to the applicant.
- All MNCPA Scholars are expected to participate in the various MNCPA Scholars activities throughout the school year. There will not be any Scholars events on weekends or holidays. MNCPA will work with student’s schedules relating to school/activity conflicts. Failure to participate in events will result is dismissal from the MNCPA Scholars program and no academic gift at the end of the year.
To learn more, watch this short video:
Download and complete the following documents to be considered for the MNCPA Scholar Program.
Sample schedule of events
September: Welcome event
October: Dress and dine to impress
October: Break the ice game night
November: Visit to a Minnesota college
January: Company visits
February: CPA panel discussion
March: Skill building sessions
April: Firm visits
May: Presentation to classmates about MNCPA Scholars Program
June/July: Modified internship/job shadow
August: Scholars alumni dinner
Thank you to our sponsors