Certified Financial Planner (CFP®) Continuing Education
Please note: Information contained on this page is subject to change without notice. For complete and current information, refer to the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. (CFP Board) website.
Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. (CFP Board) owns the CFP® certification mark, the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ certification mark, the CFP® (with plaque design) certification mark and the CFP® (with flame design) certification mark in the United States, which it authorizes use of by individuals who successfully complete CFP Board’s initial and ongoing certification requirements. CFP Board also owns the CFP BOARD® service mark. Any marks owned by CFP Board are used with permission.
MORE INFORMATION ON CFP® REQUIREMENTS
How to receive CFP® credit if it is offered by the MNCPA
- CFP® credit approval is granted by the CFP Board.
- One CFP® hour = 50 minutes (equivalent to a CPE hour).
- For conferences, CFP® credit approval is session-specific.
- Provide your CFP® number on the sign-in sheet at the registration desk (in-person) or provide it virtually via the online sign-in form. It is necessary that you provide an accurate CFP® number to receive CFP® credit.
- For conferences with multiple breakout sessions, you must register for and attend approved sessions. You are welcome to attend sessions that have not been approved for CFP®, but you will not receive CFP® credit for those sessions.
- For an MNCPA conference: If you signed up for CFP® credit and provided your CFP® number, the MNCPA will report your continuing education credits to the CFP® Board within two weeks after the event.
- For an MNCPA seminar: If you signed up for CFP® credit and provided your CFP® number, the seminar vendor organization will report your continuing education credits to the CFP® Board.
- After the CFP® Board has processed your continuing education credits, an email will be sent to you from the CFP® Board showing the number of credits earned.
How to apply as an individual for CFP® credit
If the MNCPA does not offer CFP® credit for a seminar or conference you can report continuing education individually with the CFP Board. For more information on the reporting process, required documentation, processing fee, etc., contact the CFP Board.
The MNCPA can provide you with the following documentation to aid you in reporting credits to the CFP Board:
For a conference:
- Transcript (certificate of attendance)
- For single-track conferences you can print your official transcript directly from the MNCPA website.
- For conferences with multiple breakout sessions you will need a transcript showing all of the sessions you attended. To request your transcript call 952-831-2707 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Summary of conference details, including the following information:
- Sponsor information
- Session titles and descriptions
- Speaker biographies
To request an electronic copy of the conference brochure call 952-831-2707 or email email@example.com.
For a seminar:
- Transcript (certificate of attendance). You can print an official transcript directly from the MNCPA website.
- Summary of the seminar details, including the following information:
- Sponsor Information
- Course title, description and major subjects
- Speaker name, contact information and biography
To request a copy of the seminar details call 952-831-2707 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Programs with CFP credits
Search the CPE catalog